In previous posts you’ve heard me say how we moved back to Scarborough a few years ago. We lived here pre-child and pre-marriage about 20 years ago when the Scarborough was considered to be less savoury lets say.
Since moving back so much has changed here. We feel like we’ve come home or more to the actual truth, we feel like we are permanently on holidays. Constantly surrounded by travelers and backpackers. Summer in particular makes us feel we are visiting a beach town in another city. For example shopping at our local Coles supermarket we are surrounded by shoppers in their swimwear speaking familiar and unfamiliar languages, buying their BBQ meats and salads for a summer get together down by the beach.
We’re very social and enjoy meeting new people, having interesting conversations with vistors about their lives, their culture and their reasons why they love Perth and Australia, so living in Scarborough really suits our personality. We like the buzz and social atmosphere that Scarborough brings and we love that we only have to walk 1o mins to get to the beachfront where it’s all happening.
My 5 reasons why living in Scarborough is the best! :
- Latin American social dancing. On Sundays and Wednesdays afternoon and evenings down at the ampitheatre you can learn to do a little salsa and get social. We’ve been meaning to get ourselves down there for a lesson but only seem to make it after the introductory lessons have finished and the social session is underway.
2. Twilight Sunset Markets fills the amphitheatre and tiered grassed areas with food stalls, arts and crafts, and live entertainment. Head down during the Summer and early Autumn months on a Thursday from 5pm-9pm but make sure you get there early to get a good park, thousands of people turn up to enjoy the sunset and the market stalls.
3. Intergenerational park.With the 100 million dollar redevelopment of Scarborough we now have a Olympic sized pool for serious swimmers, social swimmers and families. But I’m most excited about the boulder wall at the north end of the redevelopment. Being a climbing enthusiast (more of a novice really), having a climbing wall where I can practice and improve my climbing skills that’s only 10 mins walk away excites me. So the plan is , wake up head down to the beach for a climb, then a quick dip to cool off and then a get a purple smoothie from the Sandbar.
There’s also a skate park, basketball hoops to shoot, skate bowl , and a whale themed playground.
4. Sunset Hill . The name says it all! Get your fish and chips from either Plakas On The Beach or from Peter’s by the Sea and watch the sun set on Sunset Hill.
5. The quirky things you might encounter whilst in Scarborough.
A man on a push bike in a pink bikini
Or a kangaroo on the beach
Apart from these 5 reasons it goes without saying that a sunset swim is a great way to end the day.