I’m part of a mastermind group and have been for a few years now, run by Amanda Kendle, Social Media Consultant and Travel Writer. When I received Amanda’s December 2017 newsletter it caught my attention because the title of her blog post was “18 Things I’ll Do in 2018”. I wanted to know what Amanda was going to get up to and whether she had anything interesting planned for our mastermind group.
After I read her blog post and then listened to Gretchen Rubin’s podcast that Amanda recommended, I felt inspired to list my 18 Things to Do in 2018.
My list isn’t necessarily a list of resolutions, these are simple things that makes me happy, brings me joy and things I just want to do or get done.
I don’t know about you but I’m not the best at sticking to new years resolutions. My enthusiasm and motivation lasts for a month at the most and then life takes over and well, you know the rest.
In my previous post I mentioned how our son had finished his school life last year, which essentially means a reinvention of a new life for me.
So I deem 2018 is all about me!
Here is my list of 18 things for 2018 :
1. Create a creative sanctuary solely for my writing and art. Right now my creative sanctuary is not only a mess and a clutter filled room but an area where I do admin work. It doesn’t and hasn’t worked for me to have this special space invaded with administrative elements I am required to do that DOESN’T bring me joy!
2. I’ve always been curious about calisthenics type classes. There is a gym called Movement Co that offers a 7 day free trial. So to sign up for a 7 day free trial would definitely be on the list. This will also help me be a better climber. Although I have to admit I am a little nervous about the idea.
3. In the past getting into the water at the beach has often been a slow and hesitant process as the icey cool Indian ocean water creeps near my belly button. Imagine the internal conflict of wanting to enjoy the beach but not wanting to experience the initial freezer like cold water all over my body So, don’t think, just do and running straight into the surf completely submerging my entire body in the water and yelling “Wooooo Hooooooo Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!”.
4. You might have heard me say in various posts that friends often ask me to write about my parents and their story. So just to write one story about my parents is something I want to do this year that will bring me joy.
5. I have a stair case near where I live which comprises of 128 steps. Many residents around my area “do the stairs”. I’d like to walk the stairs just once a week as part of my weekly health regime.
6. Clutter has always been my problem and has been part of my life. Don’t get me wrong I am not one of those extreme hoarders I just have clutter issues. So to get rid of 50% of my “stuff” moving towards a minimalist lifestyle would make me extremely happy.
7. With my 2018 focus on me and my mental and physical health, I am going to attend an RPM/ cycle class at my local gym. It’s been years, at least 15 since I’ve attended a cycling class.
8. I enrolled in a few online writing courses last year and given that I enjoy sharing and connecting through my writing, completing and immersing myself in my writing courses will not only make me very happy but will improve my writing and story telling skills.
9. Last year I didn’t do much climbing at all. I spent more time either being at the climbing gym or outdoors with my climbing buddies with me not climbing, just belaying. Now that my shoulder injury has improved, getting back into regular climbing both indoors and outdoors will be very good for my soul.
10. For Christmas one of my presents given to me by hubby was a vegetarian cooking class that we will do together. I would like to add a new vegetarian meal to my repertoire of dishes I cook.
11. I know that this one doesn’t sound too exciting nor does it appear to bring me joy, but changing the battery in my car will definitely bring me joy because it will give me peace of mind knowing that I wont be stranded or have to call the RAC for a rescue start up. Keeping in line with mention of my car, vacuuming my car will also bring me joy for obvious reasons of being tidy and a minimalist.
12. I went to Denmark, Western Australia for the first time earlier this year and Greens Pool was amazing! I actually got a little teary at how beautiful the beach was. I want to go back!
13. I still haven’t mastered the art of drawing people confidently. Becoming proficient in drawing people whether it be in cartoon form or as a more expressive gestural sketch.
14. Writing and publishing two e-books. I’m not quite sure what on just yet but I think one will be on sketching.
15. The last time I went to Rottnest Island was about 3 years ago and I have friends who go there regularly. So booking a 2 night trip to Rottnest Island to just chill, explore, be and sketch would be absolute bliss.
16. Ok, so this one sounds like a resolution and it may just well be but in the past I have never been a big reader. It’s more of a recent enjoyable past time for me. So reading a fictional book a month where I escape from the realities of daily life allowing my mind to get lost in an imaginary time and place.
17. Last year I wanted to go to Mettams Pool for a little swim and I didn’t. Before the end of Summer I would like to have had spent time wading and playing in Mettams Pool.
18. Filling my sketchbook with sketches of my daily life means I’m more inclined to explore more of my city and my backyard. To fill my sketchbook with more interesting sketches and stories for me to share.
…well not really, I’m sure there are plenty more, in fact I know there are but for now I’m only choosing 18 🙂
I intend to print this list out and put it on the fridge as a reminder of the 18 things to do in 2018 that brings me joy and happiness.
What are your 18 things to do in 2018 ?